Shooting reported at Henderson, Kentucky, Harbor House homeless shelter – Courier & Press

HENDERSON, Ky. − Two people were killed and two others were wounded at a Kentucky homeless shelter after police say a resident opened fire just as church services ended there Thursday night.
The shooting occurred about 7:40 p.m. at the Harbor House Christian Center at 804 Clay St. in Henderson. About 15 people were inside at the time, Henderson City Commissioner Robert Pruitt said.
In a Facebook post, Henderson police identified the suspect as 37-year-old Kenneth B. Gibbs of Henderson. He was reportedly a resident of the shelter. He was booked into the Henderson County jail on two preliminary charges of murder.
Friday morning, Henderson police identified the two people killed as Steven Wathen, 67, and Chad Holmes, 44. The two surviving victims, both men, weren’t named in the release, but police said they were 33 and 41 years old, respectively. All four victims were residents of Harbor House.
Henderson police officer and shift commander Robert Gipson told the Courier & Press on Friday that to the police’s knowledge, the two surviving victims were in stable condition.
Henderson Police Department Chief Sean McKinney said Gibbs was located at Hays Boat Ramp around 9:45 p.m. Thursday in the 2000 block of North Elm Street – about seven miles from the site of the shooting.
What we know:Fatal shooting at Kentucky homeless shelter leaves two dead
McKinney said Gibbs was armed when he was arrested. He was reportedly identified as the shooter by witnesses at the shelter. Pruitt confirmed the first fatality to the Courier & Press, and city spokeswoman Donna Stinnett confirmed the second.
Harbor House is listed as a homeless shelter on Facebook and Google. Its Facebook page describes it as “a safe harbor for men in need. Harbor House is a Christian-based organization dedicated to bringing men up in the community, by promoting a God-based foundation.” It serves as a shelter for men who need housing, meals, and assistance with finding employment.
Pruitt said Harbor House has been around since 1989. It’s been an asset for the community, he said, but “tonight puts a scar on that.”
Around 9:40 p.m., a Henderson city bus arrived to take 10 other residents to the Salvation Army for the night. They prayed before boarding.
Brian McClain is a resident at Harbor. A church service had just ended, and he told the Courier & Press he was resting in the dormitory area before leaving for his third-shift job when a man he believed to be the shooter suddenly flipped on the lights.
“He looked at me funny and shut the light back off, and when he went out the dorm room, it wasn’t five seconds later I heard shots,” he said.
He said he heard what he believed to be a handgun fire “eight or nine shots.” He jumped out of bed and rushed toward the window. At first, he thought about breaking it.
“Finally I got my mind about me and unlocked the window and got out,” he said. “And another dude ran into the dorm and said ‘man, I think I’m shot.’ And he got shot right here in the (left) shoulder.”
McClain claimed to know at least two of the victims. He described them as “two of the nicest guys you’ve ever met.”
“It’s crazy,” he said. “I don’t know what the hell is wrong with people, man.”
This story has been updated to clarify the number of people injured, as well as the suspect’s middle initial.
This is a developing story and will be updated.


Leave a Comment