Kidnapping wave: Real or hype? – manilastandard.net

The country’s top cop insists that reports of a kidnapping wave are all hype.
But what if it’s the Chinese Embassy in Manila that’s already worried sick that there’s one too many cases of their nationals being abducted by unknown persons quite possibly by members of kidnap-for-ransom syndicates that include Chinese nationals themselves?
Last week, the Embassy said it had requested Philippine authorities to intensify efforts to protect its nationals amid a recent spate of kidnappings involving Chinese victims.
The embassy said it had immediately checked and verified specific cases, held discussions with Chinese-Filipino communities, and made representations with Philippine law enforcement authorities to protect the legitimate rights of Chinese citizens here.
The embassy noted that in recent years, there had been frequent cases of kidnapping, blackmail, illegal detention, and other cases targeting its nationals due to online gaming and telecommunications fraud.
The embassy urged Philippine agencies to strengthen bilateral law enforcement cooperation aimed at cracking down on kidnapping, blackmail, illegal detention, and other criminal acts that endanger its nationals.
But at the same time, it also reminded its citizens to stay away from online gambling and telecommunications fraud, and avoid falling into gambling-related blackmailing and torture cases.
Also last week, the Senate began hearing on the “kidnapping wave” that had reportedly victimized dozens, including Chinese and Filipinos, and the spread of disturbing videos showing supposed victims being tortured by their captors, some of whom appeared to be foreigners.
According to Sen. Ronald dela Rosa, chairman of the Senate public order and dangerous drugs committee and a former PNP chief, he wants the PNP to shed light on videos and reports from various sources.
Senators Grace Poe and JV Ejercito also pushed for the inquiry in separate resolutions as they also called on the PNP to stop the spate of abductions.
Sen. Poe noted that conflicting statistics about the number of cases presented by the PNP caused “undue and unnecessary anxiety and fear (among) our countrymen.”
She said that while the PNP had tried to downplay the string of kidnappings, there were many news reports and videos of such incidents on mainstream and social media.
Sen. Ejercito said he was particularly disturbed by the proliferation of video clips on various messaging apps and social media platforms showing people, believed to be kidnap victims, being tortured.
He urged President Marcos Jr. to issue a statement directing the police to solve the kidnappings as he speculated that criminal syndicates may be “testing the waters.”
PNP chief Gen. Rodolfo Azurin continues to deny the supposed widespread kidnappings of Chinese-Filipino nationals in Metro Manila although he said he had deployed more policemen near Philippine offshore gaming operators (POGO) establishments in the capital region amid an increasing number of abducted Pogo workers.
But for how long can he possibly ignore a problem that stares him in the face amid expressions of grave concern from both the Chinese embassy and lawmakers?

There is a bright light in the trip of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., following his meeting with Overseas Filipino Workers…
“Experts on the Constitution point out that martial law is a last resort, one available exclusively to the President, to…
“We fully support the stand of (some) legislators and urge both chambers of Congress to increase rather than slash the…
“Some 70 percent of breast cancer cases occur among indigents, thus perhaps the high rates for late diagnosis and below…
The market cap of NYSE as of July 2022 was $24.6 trillion—more than the combined value of shares of four…
In the small hours of Wednesday morning, Manila time, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. will address the 77th session of the…
By Pascale Trouillaud The video was painful to watch, but spoke volumes to Brazil’s isolation on the world stage: President…
The Asian Development Bank on Wednesday cut its 2022 growth forecast for developing Asia, with crippling Covid-19 lockdowns in China,…
Hurricane Fiona continued its slow and devastating march northward after slamming the Turks and Caicos Islands as a powerful Category…
SpaceX will apply for an exemption from US sanctions against Iran in a bid to offer its satellite internet service…
A federal judge has allowed a discrimination lawsuit to proceed that argues that McDonald’s refuses to advertise on Black-owned media…
Manila Standard website (manilastandard.net), launched in August 2002, extends the newspaper’s reach beyond its traditional readers and makes its brand of Philippine news and opinion available to a much wider and geographically diverse readership here and overseas.
In tone and content, the online edition mirrors the editorial thrust of the newspaper. While hewing to the traditional precepts of fairness and objectivity, MS believes the news of the day need not be staid, overly long or dry. Stories are succinct, readable and written in a lively style that has become a hallmark of the newspaper.
Download – Today’s Paper
6th Floor Universal Re Bldg., 106 Paseo De Roxas cor. Perea Street, Legaspi Village, 1226 Makati City Philippines
Trunklines: 832-5554, 832-5556, 832-5558
© 2021 Manila Standard – Designed and Developed by Neitiviti Studios.
© 2021 Manila Standard – Designed and Developed by Neitiviti Studios.
Login to your account below




Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

source

Leave a Comment